- RSS Channel Showcase 4001944
- RSS Channel Showcase 5843017
- RSS Channel Showcase 7647788
- RSS Channel Showcase 2945323
Articles on this Page
- 09/23/12--21:16: _Thoughts on the lat...
- 10/14/12--21:25: _Expeditionary Learn...
- 10/28/12--22:20: _Who cuts the barber...
- 11/02/12--17:23: _Opt Out — Just Say ...
- 11/05/12--20:06: _How Many Strikes? o...
- 11/06/12--04:52: _Vote to be heard!
- 11/09/12--13:21: _John Dewey on compa...
- 11/12/12--06:56: _What to Keep an Eye...
- 01/14/13--08:47: _It’s — Mertz for — ...
- 01/21/13--08:09: _Song of the — Marti...
- 06/07/15--17:26: _New MMSD Tech Plan ...
- 06/09/16--06:50: _MMSD Budget (Crunch...
- 05/07/17--15:29: _2017-18 MMSD Budget...
- 06/17/17--08:41: _Notes for Final Cla...
- 06/21/17--07:55: _Class Size Budget A...
- 07/20/17--14:27: _[Update] — Still a ...
- 09/23/12--21:16: Thoughts on the late MMSD budget recommendations
- 10/14/12--21:25: Expeditionary Learning Charter for Toki?
- 10/28/12--22:20: Who cuts the barber’s hair? or Whither “accountability”?
- 11/02/12--17:23: Opt Out — Just Say No to the WKCE
- 11/05/12--20:06: How Many Strikes? or Whither Accountability? #2
- 11/06/12--04:52: Vote to be heard!
- 11/12/12--06:56: What to Keep an Eye on in Tony Evers’ Budget (updated)
- 01/14/13--08:47: It’s — Mertz for — Madison Time, or I’m Running for School Board
- 01/21/13--08:09: Song of the — Martin Luther King Jr — Day
- 06/07/15--17:26: New MMSD Tech Plan Funding Scheme (and Related Thoughts) — Updated
- 06/09/16--06:50: MMSD Budget (Crunch) Time (Updated)
- 05/07/17--15:29: 2017-18 MMSD Budget Questions and Notes
- 06/17/17--08:41: Notes for Final Class Size Amendment
- 06/21/17--07:55: Class Size Budget Amendment (Annotated)
- 07/20/17--14:27: [Update] — Still a Sow’s Ear — Isthmus Montessori Academy Contract
The Dolly Mixture — “Spend Your Wishes” (click to listen or download). With all the appropriate attention given this weekend to the opportunity to re-engage in collective bargaining (if you haven’t weighed in the Board, there is still time: email@example.com) … Continue reading
The Replacements – “I Don’t Know” (click to listen or download). The biggest item on the Madison Metropolitan School District Board of Education committee agendas this week is the “Expeditionary Learning Model at Toki Middle School and Timeline” before the … Continue reading
Professor Longhair, “Bald Head” (click to listen or download). Educational “accountability” is in the news and on the agenda again this week. It seems it is always in the news and on the agenda these days. I have many problems … Continue reading
The Zombies – “Tell Her No” (click to listen or download) The WKCE testing and related assessments are scheduled for next week in the Madison Metropolitan School District schools (full schedule of MMSD assessments, here), but your child doesn’t have … Continue reading
The Isotopes – “Take Me Out To The Ball Game” (click to listen or download) A recent post – Who cuts the barber’s hair? or Whither “accountability”? — centered on some of the failings of the new Wisconsin “Accountability” system designed … Continue reading
Chis Stamey and Yo la Tengo, “Vote” (click to listen or download) Check the Wisconsin League of Woman Voters for all your voting information, including your rights, your polling place, the candidate answers, referendum information, and same day registration. VOTE … Continue reading
Sly & the Family Stone, ” Everyday People” (click to listen or download). How one person’s abilities compare in quantity with those of another is none of the teacher’s business. It is irrelevant to his work. What is required is … Continue reading
Mavis Staples, “Eyes On The Prize” (click to listen or download). Update: Still haven’t seen the details, but according to the Press Release, the answer to question number three is a partial yes, with calls for “full funding” of SAGE … Continue reading
It’s Madison Time Part 1 & 2 Ray Bryant Combo In December I announced my candidacy for the Madison Metropolitan School District Board of Education, Seat #5 (announcement below). There will be a primary election February 19, 2013 and … Continue reading
Solomon Burke — “Now Is The Time” (click to listen or download) See also “Quotes of the — Martin Luther King Jr. — Day.” Thomas J. Mertz
Funkadelic — “No Compute” (click to listen or download). The Firestones — “Buy Now, Pay Later” (click to listen or download) Update 7:45 PM, 6/8/15: There was little or no support for this proposal expressed by Board Members and it … Continue reading
“Money Talks,” Alex Chilton (click to listen or download) Update: The materials for Monday’s meetings (Budget Input and Operations Work Group)have been posted on BoardDocs. I’ll list and link here, but first there are some things that were not posted … Continue reading
Thomas J. MertzMW_CP_HANDTOMOUTHTitle I Staffing EnrollmentsTitle I with 788000
Chuck Berry — “Thirteen Question Method” (click to listen/watch) At 5:45 on Monday, May 8, 2017 the Madison Metropolitan School District Operations Work Group will hold our first extended discussion of the the 2017-18 Budget since receiving the draft Budget … Continue reading
Thomas J. Mertzmoney_question_istock_000010906232smallTitle I allocationsTitle I tjmPriority ChartTID 25
This involves prioritizing among the many issues and actions that have been discussed, and finding mechanisms to budget according to those priorities. In an effort to be transparent, and as a plea for one more round of feedback and ideas from our community, I am presenting what I see as the choices involved, and much of my current thinking. Continue reading
Class-Size-Matters-1-zk3e4eThomas J. MertzClass-Size-Matters-1-zk3e4eK-5 Poverty AGR Title
If you think I did more right than wrong, please let the Board (and the world) know about your support for the amendment. As usual, you can email us [firstname.lastname@example.org], or testify at the June 26th meeting where we will be voting on this and the entire preliminary budget. Talk to your neighbors, co-workers, and friends, write a letter to the editor, post on Facebook. Instagram, or tweet something, draw something, dance…be creative.
Thanks in advance for the feedback and support. Continue reading
Thomas J. Mertzvegan-meat-alternative-sausage-onion_1
This will be the third time the Board has voted on a version of this proposal. The previous two times the Board and the Administration agreed that the proposal did not meet the requirements of the MMSD Charter School policy (related concerns about state statutes were also expressed by some Board Members). Each time, a majority of the Board voted to advance the proposal in order to provide opportunities to address the shortcomings (I voted no each time). Among the questions before the Board on July 31 is whether this has been accomplished; whether sow's ear has been transformed into a silk purse. I think it is still a sow's ear. Continue reading
61rMMB84X7LThomas J. Mertz61rMMB84X7LIMA Map DataMPS MMSD IMA compare